These are some sample essays which are graded with different bands score. These samples will help you understand the errors or the mistakes that hinder you from getting a good band and help you improve your score by following the example given at the end of good score.
Essay with band 5.0
Without capital punishment our lives are less secure and crimes or violence increase. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
Committing serious crimes need capital punishment so that the offender unable to involved in the crime in the future. However, If they want to stop the violated act in the future then it would better to forget him and judge him for a change .
Overall, I agree with the fact that punishment is the way to avoid the crime to be increased and hence our lives become more secure. If the wrongdoer wants to be a good man and there is some financial or personal problem that led him to the wrong way, then it would be the nice option to forgive him and try to solve the problem he have. Although by this way, some bad man may become effective part of the society but some do not bring themselves to the right path because they are very much used to of it. The person that _ involved in the crime and never try to stop the law-breaking act should be punished in the extremely serious way. However, it totally depends on the nature of crime. Some crime led to capital punishment and some may require small penalty. The law-making institutions are responsible to bring the bad man to the right level of punishment that he deserves. If there is weak legislation to properly handle the offender, it may become our society less secure for the good man. The government should be responsible authority to provide secure and better state to live. Laws should be implemented and executed in the most proper way that do not allow the offender to commit violence act or to break the law in any way or extent. To sum up, it is the responsibility of the state runner to stop people to involved in crime. It may be done through solving the problems of the people that led them to commit violence act or by the punishment accordingly.
Where are the paragraphs? This is a very good essay; however there are many small mistakes that will cost you dearly. There are also several unclear expressions and grammatical errors. You should rewrite it, giving more thought to what is required,
Sample essay with 6.5 band
Some people think that they can learn better by themselves than with a teacher. Others think that it is always better to have a teacher. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons to develop your essay.
It is certainly said that learning is an ongoing process .Every person learn something new according to their age, experience knowledge and education. According to my point of view it is always better to have _teacher or guide for study
One teacher has adequate knowledge to teach their student. He knows all the possible ways to make subject easier for the students, even he teaches them in effective manner. For example, some students are weak in some subjects but a teacher always guides them according to their mental capacity. He teaches them as fun. Some people can learn better in group by discuss the topics with others. In class people can know the other’s views, even they know how we can learn effectively. Where the teacher always give easy direction to learn.
In the today’s competitive world, everbody is busy, some people think that rather to waste their time to go for classes they can learn better regarding their subject _. They can attend online classes by using internet at home. They can get relevant information from internet regarding their topic. There is not specific time, age limit to learn something new. Some thing new which we always learn only with the experience such as atequates, knowledge, new habits and so on.
In sum up, I would like to say that it is always better for the people to have teacher because one teacher has good knowledge, experience and education to teach others. They can take learn easy from him rather by themselves.
Where are the paragraphs in this essay? You must be very careful using definitive words like “always” and making statements of fact. The essay is for you to provide an opinion and to provide supporting arguments. Also, the other side of the argument about teachers that have limited knowledge or people that learn better on their own is not presented here.
Sample essay with 7 band.
Popular events like the football world cup and other international sporting occasions are essential in easing international tensions and releasing patriotic emotions in a safe way. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
The World Cup football match and the Olympics are held worldwide with great national support and expectations. As a fan of those competitions, I agree with the idea that sporting events can be necessary for international relations and national unity. In this essay, I will think about the effects of these popular sporting events.
First of all, the World Cup, Olympics and other international games work for easing tensions among different nations. For example, South and
On the other hand, some sports matches can make international relations worse. For instance, football or baseball games between
In conclusion, I think that international sporting occasions can be one of the good ways to ease tensions or to release patriotism safely. However, I believe that games can not be the fundamental ways for the sound patriotism or peaceful international relations.
This is an excellent essay! Very well done!
Some people say that the Internet is making the world smaller by bringing people together. To what extent do you agree that the internet is making it easier for people to communicate with one another?
In today’s world _ due to the advancement of technology new inventions are coming into existence. It is a certainty that ‘necessity is a mother of invention’. _ Internet is just like a wonder box, which contains every type of information. Besides it has also proved as a very important tool to connect people with each other.
In today’s modernized era nobody has sufficient time to write letters to their loved ones. Moreover it also takes longer to send or receive any information. But through an internet it is an easiest way to send massages to our loved ones. Either it can be in the form of an e- mail or by text messages from internet to cell phones. We can send and receive messages straight way.
In other hand today’s youth generation mostly prefer to do chatting on () internet. Through this chatting we can write messages and straight way can get their reply. Moreover voice chatting is going to be very popular day-by-day.
As it is a reality that advantages and disadvantages are like both sides of a coin, which usually runs parallel. So like other things internet also have some downsides, like people are facing some health problems for example, poor eye-sight, back ache, migrane. Today’s teenagers usually prefer to spend their time on internet rather than to participating in other physical activities, so that’s why they are going to be weaker in their physical health.
To conclude, I would like to say that internet is one of the most modernized and most successful tools, not only for communication, even to get most relevant information regarding every field in a very short period of time.
This is a great essay, well done! Remember “the Internet” is a proper noun, currently, there is only one. Pay attention to your punctuation - many commas are missing after linking words. Otherwise, the essay is well argued and set out
With all the troubles in the world today, money spent on space exploration is a complete waste. The money could be better spent on other things.
Nations after nations, everyday, every year, celebrate their achievements in space exploration . However, it is now time to question how meaningful these blasts are. This essay aims to explain why it is questionable.
First, until all urgent and important matters in this globe have been solved, money bumped on space exploration is of no meaning. It is not a common sense at all to invest million dollars researching and producing foods for astronauts (for space exploration purpose), while everyday thousands of people are starving. Furthermore, the discovery of outer space only serves a minor group of people if the majority are even not well-educated. Those in rural areas or third-world nations do no even know how to prevent common threatening diseases like AIDS and lung cancer.
Then, some may argue that the purpose of space exploration are to discover new lands, new energy resources or to deter potential threat to globe. Nevertheless, is it effective to do so while other alternatives are available? Lands on earth are no yet effectively used. New energy resources (e.g. solar and nuclear energy) have not yet been widely-used. Threats of plagues have not yet been deterred. All these “not- yets” need money. That is why costly space discovery programs are a waste of money.
In the nutshell, people should only invest in space exploration providing that () early-mentioned urgent and important matters have been solved. Also, purposes of space exploration campaign should be studied carefully and other alternatives should be considered before money is wasted.
This is a very good essay, well done.
Essay with 8 band.
As computers are being used more and more in education, there will be soon no role for teachers in the classroom.
There have been immense advances in technology in most aspects of people’s lives, especially in the field of education. Nowadays, an increasing number of students rely on computers for research and to produce a perfect paper for school purposes. Others have decided to leave the original way of learning and to get knowledge through online schools. These changes in the learning process have brought a special concern regarding the possible decrease of importance of teachers in the classroom.Some people believe the role of teachers started to fade because computers have been helping some students to progress in their studies quicker than when compared with an original classroom. For example, in the same classroom, students have different intellectual capacities, thus some would be tied to a slow advance in their studies because of others’ incapacity of understanding. In this way, pupils could progress in their acquisition of knowledge at their own pace using computers instead of learning from teachers.
However, the presence of a teacher is essential for students because the human contact influences them in positive ways. Firstly, students realize that they are not dealing with a machine but with a human being who deserves attention and respect. They also learn the importance of studying in group and respect other students, which helps them to improve their social skills.
Moreover, teachers are required in the learning process because they acknowledge some student’s deficiencies and help them to solve their problems by repeating the same explanation, giving extra exercises or even suggesting a private tutor. Hence, students can have a bigger chance not to fail in a subject.
In conclusion, the role for teachers in the learning process is still very important and it will continue to be in the future because no machine can replace the human interaction and its consequences.
This is a great essay. Looks like Band 8 to me. No improvements are necessary, Keep up the good job!
Improvements in health, education and trade are essential for the development of poorer nations. However, the governments of richer nations should take more responsibility for helping the poorer nations in such areas.
Today’s world has been divided into developing and industrialised countrieswhich the main difference between them is the amount of money that governments apply in important sectors such as education, health and commerce. Most of the poorer nations are buried in debts as a result of their unbalanced finances which are reflect in a failed health care, an unstructured education system and a weak international trade. This vicious cycle will continue indefinitely unless wealthier nations show interest in minimizing the worldwide economic differences, as well as taking more responsibility for assisting unfortunate countries.
Most of the African countries live in sub-human conditions because of the extreme poverty, upheaval, hunger, disease, unemployment, lack of education and both inexperienced and corrupt administrations. The devastating consequences of the AIDS epidemic in those countries could improve if the infected populations receive free drugs to control the disease, have access to health professionals and get information on how to prevent its spread. But this can only be achieved through international help programs in which leaders of the world’s richest countries donate medicine and also send doctors and nurses to treat and educate those in need.
Moreover, most of the poor countries rely on selling agricultural products and raw material to rich nations and buying industrialized products from them resulting in a huge financial deficit. Consequently,
they borrow a significant amount of money from the World Bank to try to improve their broken economies, but sometimes the money disappears with no significant changes and they cannot even pay the interest to the bank. Regarding this issue, last year the G8, which is comprised of leaders of the eight richest nations, decided to forgive billions of dollars worth of debt owed by the world’s poorest nations. In addition, they developed adequate loan programs to financially assist those countries.
In conclusion, leaders of the industrialised countries play an indispensable role in assisting developing nations deal with essential areas such as health, education and trade. Also, their aid is the key to breaking the vicious cycle, which results in poverty and death.
This is an amazing essay, looks like Band 8 to me, nothing to improve here.
Popular events like the football World Cup and other international sporting occasions are essential in easing international tensions and releasing patriotic emotions in a safe way.
Every four years, the whole world stops to watch international sporting events such as the Olympics and the Football World Cup in which athletes show their best performance to make their country proud of them. These sporting occasions have proved to be helpful in easing international tensions in difficult times when powerful leaders were trying to control the world’s economy and other governments were fighting over land.
The Olympic Games are one of the best examples which prove how sporting events can bring nations together, at least temporarily. From ancient History, when Greeks and Romans would interrupt battles to participate in the games, to the more recent international disputes, when athletes from
Similarly, international sporting events show benefits in some developing countries which live in a daily internal civil war. For example,
In conclusion, popular sporting events play an important role in decreasing international tensions and liberating patriotic feelings as History has shown.
This is a great essay, the ideas, language, structure of paragraphs and sentences, grammar show high level of English. In my opinion it is Band 8. Keep up the good work.
1. Some people believe that only pupils of similar interests should be given admissions in schools. Others are of the opinion that schools should be open to all children with varied interests. How far you agree or disagree with the above views. Give your opinion.
2. Some authors believe that urbanization is a ‘Modern Disease’. Explain if you agree with this view and give your own opinion.
3. Capital punishment is a brutal decision and should be abolished. Give your views with justifications.
4. Most criminals are set free once they finish their jail terms. Is the re introduction of criminals in societies is justified?
5. Working and living abroad helps us to know other cultures well. How far you think working abroad has good or bad impacts on our cultural lives?
6. If you were given to change, what all changes you would implement in this 21st century to make our world a better living place? Discuss few changes.
7. Computers can easily do all the basic and advanced calculations. Do you think your children should spend more time learning basic mathematics or advanced computer technology? Give your views.
8. Should poor countries continue to receive International Aids?
9. Some parents grow their children in strict discipline while others leave them free to learn lessons of lives on their own. Which is one of these is a better approach and why? Give your own opinion in not less than 250 words.
10. The modern technology is all making things easily available. Internet has provided us the easy downloadable versions of most books we need. Can internet world replace the world of books and words? Give your own views in not less than 250 words.
11. As most postgraduate research is funded by industry then student’s grants should also come from the same source. How far you agree with this. Give your views in not less than 250 words.
12. Modern technology is transforming the way we work and is of benefit to our society. How far you think our social lives influenced by modern technology.
13. In order keep the students more focused, the sports classes should be stopped in High schools. You think this will be a right approach for a better generation?
14. Children are the impressions of their parent’s behaviour. If a child behaves badly his parents should be considered responsible and should be punished. How far you agree with this.
15. What do you think the government in your country should do to make your country more successful.
16. Smoking is a bad habit and should be abandoned completely world wide. Give your views in not less than 250 words.
17. Time is an important factor in every field. Do you think following strict time limits is more important than giving quality results? Give your views in not less than 250 words.
18. Life was simpler without so much of technology .What do you think?
19. Are famous people treated unfairly by the media? Should they be given more privacy, or is the price of their fame an invasion into their private lives?
20. Should developing countries pay more attention towards education or improving business standards?
21. There is an age after which one’s efficiency decreases. Should young people in the working fields replace all the old people?
22. Animals also have emotions and feel equal pain as humans. We should stop all pharmaceutical companies from doing trials on innocent animals.
23. Sex education in schools are only introducing conflicting ideas and confusion among the immature minds and should be immediately stopped.
24. The threat of nuclear weapons maintains world peace. Nuclear power provides cheap and clean energy. The benefits of nuclear technology far overweigh the disadvantages. Do you agree or disagree? Give reasons for your answer.
25. Women are always better parents than men. How far you agree with this?
26. Deciding the size of one’s own family is a personal preference In your opinion should government intervene in the rights of the individual with regard to family planning?
27. In some countries the average worker is obliged to retire at the age of 50, while in others people can work until they are 65 or 70. Until what age do you think people should be encouraged to remain in paid employment? Give reasons for your answer.
28. The idea of going overseas for university study is an exciting prospect for many people. But while it may offer some advantages, it is probably better to stay home because of the difficulties a student inevitably encounters living and studying in a different culture. To what extent do you agree or disagree this statement? Give reasons for your answer.
29.'Telecommuting' refers to workers doing their jobs from home for part of each week and communicating with their office using computer technology. Telecommuting is growing in many countries and is expected to be common for most office workers in the coming decades. How do you think society will be affected by the growth of telecommuting?
30. When so many people are starving to death in different parts of the world, is it justifiable for any government to spend huge amounts of money over the Space Exploration Projects?
31. Internet has made information so handy, but at the same time, its spoiling our children with all the adult content. Should children be kept away from internet?
32. To what extent will migration from the developing world to the developed world become a social and political issue in the 21st century?
33. Technology is making communication easier in today's world, but at the expense of personal contact as many people choose to work at home in front of a computer screen. What dangers are there for a society which depends on computer screens rather than face-to-face contact for its main means of communication?
34. Zoos are sometimes seen as necessary but not poor alternatives to a natural environment. Discuss some of the arguments for and/or against keeping animals in zoos.
35. The only way to prevent overcrowding in cities is to prevent migration from rural areas. Give your opinion and views.
36. Money is the single motivational factor for success in any work field. How far you agree with this?
37. The only effective way to deal with unemployment is to introduce rapid urbanization. How far you agree?
38. When most of the population in developing countries does not have food to eat and place to live, it is immaterial to talk about saving forests as a gesture to protect our environment. The aim should be to utilize maximum land for food production and making homes for the homeless. Give your opinion in not less than 250 words.
39. Reading comics only rot the children’s mind than to provide any good education. How far you agree/ disagree with this?
40. Is it wise for an industry to replace its experienced but old workers with new and young experience less individuals? Give your views in not less than 250 words.